Tuesday, November 11, 2014

The Bahamas in May

Better late than never! Completely late post…

Back in May, Aiden and I were offered to take a FREE Bahamas cruise with our great friends, The Valerios! We had dinner with them one Saturday night in San Diego, Shauna asked if I had vacation time left and if we were interested in going. Of course we were interested! Shauna then said ok I need to know by Tuesday and we leave Friday. Um, as in this coming week???  So I worked some magic at work and Aiden and I were packed and off to Florida, where we started our 7-day adventure on the largest cruise line, Oasis of the Seas, with the Valerios! Not having been on a cruise before, I was a bit nervous of the movement of the ocean and if I would get bored…but we had a great time.
IMG_0661

Thank you Shauna, Brian, Xander and Max for the last minute getaway and for letting us tag along on your vacation. We had such a great time (through some tears and tantrums)! We are so blessed to have had this opportunity and for your friendship!
IMG_0761
With my beautiful roomie, sister, friend…Shauna! (Cruise wardrobe by Frou Frou hahah)
IMG_0609

The Oasis of the Seas is the largest cruise line in the world - it's like a mini city on sea, with things like an Aqua Theatre, FlowRider surf simulators, zip lining, mountain climbing, comedy club, casino and a number of pools to spend your day. We especially like the hot pool, as the kids called it (sauna).

The Royal Promenade was the main area, where shops, bars, restaurants and the parade were held. We spent many 24/7 pizza and sandwich stops here for the kids (along with milk, cookies, pastries, desserts)
IMG_0389
Central Park- Not quite the NYC central park, but it was a nice touch. It was nice to have greenery on the ship- in the evenings they had violinists playing, and you were able to enjoy a calm night away from all the ship's activities.
IMG_0388
The Boardwalk- we were here everyday, the kids loved it- I think Shauna, Brian and I were starting to get tired of this after the first few days- I think we had gone on that carousel at least 30 times.
IMG_0395
The boys- Xander, Max and Aiden
IMG_0368
Unlimited carousel rides, with no line- every kids dream!
IMG_0599
Look how sweet Xander is.
IMG_0600
Balloons and facepainting! This is where the kids wanted to go right when they woke up- talk about clever placements…they had a ice cream parlor, toy shop, candy shop and donuts around the area.
IMG_0644

IMG_0640
Shauna and Max
IMG_0642
Parade pictures in the promenade- How to Train Your Dragon, Kung Fu Panda and Madagascar.
IMG_0799

Also at the Boardwalk was a playground with cars and ships- it was perfectly placed next to a bar.  The boys burned off all their unlimited desserts here.
IMG_0608

IMG_0611
 Breakfast with King Julien- Aiden was a bit frightened at first, but he warmed up quickly.
IMG_0626
The boys loved Alex.
IMG_0631

First stop off the ship- The Bahamas! We had the choices to visit the Atlantis resort, roam the city or…meet dolphins. Of course, with the once in the life time chance, we decided to meet dolphins and have the kids get up close and personal.

The boys, patiently waiting for our next adventure.
IMG_0538
Off to a ferry boat to meet the dolphins. Aiden is super excited.
IMG_0544
Shauna and Xander
IMG_0541

IMG_0590
Brian and the boys waiting for their turn to meet the friendly flipper friend.
IMG_0580

How awesome is this guy? What a beautiful creature, so smart and friendly. The kids couldn't wait to get close.
IMG_0568
The Valerios are in first- I didn't get a good picture of them with the dolphins- as soon as I have the video, I can upload it to show all of us feeding, dancing, and kissing our dolphin friend. The water was freezing!
IMG_0569
Aiden was a bit shy...
IMG_0578
The boys all ran to the gift shop to find souvenirs of their dolphin encounter.
IMG_0591
And this sums up the rest of the day.
IMG_0678

Our next stop was St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands. Hearing and reading that St. Thomas may possibly have one of the top 10 beaches in the world, we didn't want to miss out in seeing it for ourselves. We piled ourselves in this tourist packed bus (questionable, bus) and headed off to Magen's Bay.

IMG_0664
That's our happy driver to the left, collecting our fees :)
IMG_0683
Aiden definitely did not mind it- he LOVES the water.  With those floaties, he was jumping in the ocean like a pro, without a care in the world.  The water was crystal clear, no strong waves and soft sand, definitely a beautiful beach.  Brian and Shauna didn't seem to mind the water either and neither did the waterproof case Brian was trying out with his new phone.
IMG_0690
Xander enjoyed the water, even with his cast on.
IMG_0689
Max was diving in and finding shells.
IMG_0694
Shauna and I cooling down with some drinks. Overall, the beach was beautiful, but it was way too crowded due to all the tourists. I am sure if we went down further, it wouldn't have been as crowded but great time in the sun.
IMG_0697
The driver was kind enough to stop on our way back to let us all take some pictures of the views of the island.
IMG_0699
These little iguanas (sometimes, very big) were everywhere!
IMG_0708

Our last stop was at St. Maarten- we wanted to do some shopping and enjoy another beach day. We were warned of the heat, but MAN! it was soooo hot!
IMG_0748
We took a ferry from the ship to get to the island.
IMG_0746
The port.
IMG_0711

IMG_0720
We spent our first half of the day walking around town, exploring and shopping. I was so glad that I had brought the stroller for Aiden and Shauna ended up buying one for Max. Xander was such a trooper through the heat and walking…he earned that dip in the ocean!
IMG_0726

IMG_0744

IMG_0741

IMG_0735

Lastly, a few selflies with me and my date! So blessed to have spent a week of quality time with Aiden and to have experienced this with him. We are even more blessed to be able to go. Thank you again Valerio Family for the opportunity to go, the memories, the laughter and most importantly, your friendship! We love you and can't wait to go on our next trip together!
IMG_0817

IMG_0751

No comments:

Post a Comment